9.20. Straight Forecast
- A Straight Forecast bet is one where you choose two selections, in a Horse or Greyhound race, to finish first and second in the correct order. The odds for the forecast will not be known at the time you place your bet. A computer generated straight forecast dividend (payout including stake) is declared soon after the result. In order to get a return you must pick both the first and second placed selections in the correct order.
- The dividend is made using a complex mathematical formula primarily based on the starting prices of the horses or greyhounds concerned in the forecast. The calculation is made by the PA (Press Association) and SIS (Satellite Information Services), whose results are then cross referenced for the official setting of the dividend. Generally, the bigger the starting odds are the bigger the dividend will be.
- Other factors also affect the size of the forecast, including the number of runners, if there is a short-priced favourite, etc.
- Once the starting prices have been decided on course by the Senior SP returner they are relayed to the broadcaster. The forecast dividend will then be calculated.
- The dividend is declared generally within a few minutes of the result and starting prices being known. The dividend is declared to a €1 stake which is included in the figure given. Therefore, a €10 Straight Forecast, where the dividend declared is €24.50 will give a payout of €245.00.
- For example, the following were actual forecast dividends. These are purely used as examples and dividends can vary upon a number of different factors, including the number of runners, if there is a short-priced favourite, etc.
1st 6/1 (7.00) 2nd 5/2 (3.50) — Forecast Paid €21.22 including €1 stake — 13.10 Hereford 01/12/2009
1st 4/6 (1.67) 2nd 9/4 (3.25) — Forecast Paid €2.45 including €1 stake — 14.10 Hereford 01/12/2009
1st 8/1 (9.00) 2nd 5/1 (6.00) — Forecast Paid €47.68 including €1 stake — 14.20 Southwell 01/12/2009
1st 4/1 (5.00) 2nd 4/9 (1.44) — Forecast Paid €6.34 including €1 stake — 14.00 Lingfield 01/12/2009
Last Modified Date: 01/03/2021